Online Version: 2021
The 8949 form is an online form used for reporting capital gains and losses from sales, exchanges, or dispositions of certain property. The form is used to report gains and losses from stocks, bonds, mutual funds, real estate, and other property. The form must be filed with your federal income tax return.
This is a guide on how to fill out the 8949 form, which is used to report capital gains and losses.
- Start by clicking on the " 8949 " link on the IRS website.
- This will open up the 8949 form in a PDF file.
- Fill out the form by entering your personal information, such as your name, address, and Social Security number.
- Next, enter your capital gains and losses. For each transaction, you will need to enter the date of the transaction, the type of transaction (purchase or sale), the name of the security, the number of shares, and the price per share.
- If you have any remaining transactions, enter them on the final page of the form.
- Sign and date the form, and submit document to the IRS.